11.14.2006

You can thank the Conquistadors

I'm currently working on a two-part post that I'm very excited about. I hope to have it up by next week, so in the meantime, check out some nice illustrations I found in this Peter Pan Peanut Butter booklet from 1963. You will thank me to no end for sparing you the text that accompanies the artwork because if you were ever so daring to read through it, you'd be treated to the fabulously mundane story of the peanut (which is not a nut, but a vegetable) which originated in South America and was taken back to Europe and eventually the world by the Spanish Conquistadors. Yes, George Washington Carver has his own chapter. Strangely, he's not pictured. Nevertheless, the illustrations are wonderful. And dig that cover! Too bad the artwork inside is not as colorful, but still interesting. Enjoy:

(Click on images to view larger.)

Peter Pan Peanut Butter booklet: cover


Peter Pan Peanut Butter booklet: daydreamingPeter Pan Peanut Butter booklet: Chapter 2

Peter Pan Peanut Butter booklet: Chapter 3
Peter Pan Peanut Butter booklet: Civil War
Peter Pan Peanut Butter booklet: Chapter 5
Peter Pan Peanut Butter booklet: Chapter 6Peter Pan Peanut Butter booklet: Chapter 7

I've scanned more from the booklet so be sure to check out the rest in my Fun Ephemera Flickr set.

3 comments:

  1. But...I love fabulously mundane stories...about peanuts.

    Cool, weird post! That cover reminds me of Paige Shuttleworth's design work for some reason. I'm digging the overhead, graphic illustration of peanut butter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. totally funky illustrations...
    they really had something so right!

    ReplyDelete