12.22.2005

Ava Thursday: Merry Christmas!


Ava is SO into Christmas, and, believe it or not, just loves the whole gift-giving aspect of the season. Kids normally gravitate to the gift-getting part, but Ava's never really focused on wanting too many things for Christmas. It's a bit strange, but I'm not going to complain. It'll probably change the older she gets, but hey, we might as well enjoy it now when we can. (And I have to mention this beautiful post by Andrea on Ava's recent act of Christmas benevolence.)

So here we have a wonderfully cheerful Christmas scene, complete with Santa, a Christmas tree and kids. I like that Ava has drawn the Big Red Guy in full stride, in motion, with gifts in his hands. There really isn't that much of a story here, but Ava did say that the boy on the left is surprised to not find any gifts for him. I'm assuming that Santa is trying to get there in time to give the boy his presents, but since I'm not the artist, I won't know for sure. The girl to the right is not Ava -- I'm wanting to assume that Ava draws herself in almost all her drawings, but apparently that's not always the case.

A nice touch is the half-eaten carrot for the reindeer on the table there.

Ava also drew a scene on the backside of this picture, and so I thought I'd share that one as well:



Ava tells me that this is a girl who was surprised by something and that she's dropping a doll. You can see the motion lines right where the doll is. I like how she tried something different here by drawing a large profile, with a very detailed eye. It looks to me that Ava was really working on more detail in this picture than usual. That's a toybox over on the left, and "Toe" is Ava's way of writing out "Toys" phoenetically. With her learning to read and write, we were told that it's good for Ava to try and write out what she thinks the word is by mouthing it out and to listen to how it sounds, but not to correct her too much.

As usual, to view these images closer, click on them and you will be taken to their Flickr page. From there, click on "All sizes."

----------------------

Well, if I don't see you guys before then, I want to take the time to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year! From the Jenkins Family to yours, best wishes for the Holidays.

10 comments:

  1. I'm with Ava, Christmas is the best. She really out did herself with these two illustrations. Hope the Jenkins have the merriest of Merry Christmas'. See you next year if not before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. she's such a great little artist! I love the second one with the profile--so much detail for a 5 year old. see you all soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmax and a Happy New Year to you and your family,Ward! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. that was a sweet post by andrea! and santa's cheeks are so rosy! great scenes! so talented! merry christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've really enjoyed all of the Ava Thursdays and look forward to another year of masterworks. A wonderful Christmas holiday and a joyous New Year to you and yours, Ward!

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best wishes to you and yours, Ward!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Merry Christmas! Your blog is quite entertaining. Your style has a wonderful old school feel to it

    my blog
    www.imaginismstudios.com/journalism/journalism.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    I saw Julia posted a song for you.

    Here's one that we'll be dancing to at our house:

    http://media.falalalala.com/advent2005/25%20-%202005AiC%20-%20Crackerjack%20Christmas.mp3

    Best wishes,
    Brad
    aka The King of Jingaling

    ReplyDelete
  9. Doh! Here's a tinyURL:

    http://tinyurl.com/ccecb

    ReplyDelete
  10. these pictures, I swear. that child! yes, the second one is so wonderfully different, what with the profile and the all the detail. love it.

    ReplyDelete