7.14.2005

Ava and TV


Thought I'd show you guys a sketch I did of Ava while she was watching TV a couple of months ago. Whenever they show the bad guy on the particular show or movie she's watching at the time, she'll stand up and do this strange dance in front of the TV: a sort of karate-style jumping while punching at the TV screen, as if she's fighting the bad dude. It's her way of dealing with something, or in this case, someone, she doesn't like.

When I showed her this sketch of her performing her fighting ballet, she wanted to draw too. I was afraid she'd scribble all over my drawing, assuming that perhaps she'd relive the bad scenario that was on TV moments before, but no -- she drew what's on TV. I love it. (And notice that the character she drew has an 'x' over it -- again, something she does to show she doesn't like it.)

(And oh, I know that I borrowed heavily from Bill Watterson here, with the TV up in the air, but I don't care. It's a great visual.)

10 comments:

  1. HA! A great sketch to go with a great story! Wonderful stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, I thought YOU had drawn what was on TV, and Ava had drawn herself...Har! No, no, very amusing stuff, and oh, yes, great to see a TV floating in the air in reaction to the violence on the screen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what's hilarious is that Mandy does the same thing when she watches a violent movie on T.V. with me. She hates violence--whereas I am, sadly, strangely desensitized to it. Be encouraged that she feels empowered enough to outwardly express her distaste of "bad guys!"

    Oh and you know that Charles Shultz once said of Watterson, "He draws the best nighttables of anybody I know..." It takes a cartoonist/animator to appreciate the weight of the compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a cool quote. I've heard of Sparky liking Watterson's work before.

    And for the record, Ava was watching one of her own shows, not something violent, or scary. We're very mindful of that. Just had to say it so others out there won't think that we're making our kids watch zombie movies, or anything.

    At least not yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love this! i love the fact that it's a combination of you and your daughter's artwork. how amazing that she just complimented what you had already done instead of overpowering it.she is going to treasure this so much when she's older.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's so funny to watch her when she does this! and you did such a nice job of capturing it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for commenting, Glen! Hey man, I'm not sure if you're aware of it, but I did showcase some sketches I did of Ava earlier on my blog. You can see the post HERE. Hope you llike.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "And oh, I know that I borrowed heavily from Bill Watterson here, with the TV up in the air, but I don't care. It's a great visual."
    Don't sweat it. Borrow/steal from the best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. super sketch, Ward. Hey...I STILL make moves like that when I see something on TV that's bothersome. My beau says he likes to watch me watch TV. hee hee. Grrr. Ava's addition to yours makes this priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely brilliant! It takes a real artist to say so much with so little.

    ReplyDelete