3.31.2006

Photobooth Friday: Oma


Oma passed away a week ago, so I felt it would be fitting to post a photobooth photo of her back when she was about 14 or 15 years old (around 1935 or '36). On the back it says "Merle Adams," which tells us that she was already married to her first husband.

Oma's front teeth were knocked out from a car accident when she was around 12. Even with partials put in, she'd always be self-concious about smiling. That's why we don't see her showing off her teeth here.

However, that would change years later.


Oma was the president of the NCO Wives Club when Opa was stationed out in Kaiserslautern, Germany (circa 1954), and here we see the wives at a Club Luncheon. You can't miss Oma. Just look for the one with the bright, beaming smile. We're told that Oma was showing off her brand new teeth. As far as I see it, she was bound to get her money's worth out of them.

She still had that million dollar smile even at 85.

More Photobooth Friday goodness at hula seventy.

10 comments:

  1. well, I just love this. I do I do I do. ward, she was an amazing woman and thanks to you, I got to know her and love her.

    also, looking at this pic, I can see a little bit of you in her eyes and that slightly crooked smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings! I clicked ovah from your lovely spouse's blog. Your Oma looks like she was a very lovely lady - and oh so chic in that second photo.

    I lost one of my own delightful and oh so chic grandmothers last November, so you have my heartfelt sympathy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what lovely photos to have, i love the story you share about her smile - it's a gorgeous one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She stands out like a million dollar gold piece. WOW

    I'm sorry for you loss, Ward. She seemed like a fantastic lady.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about your loss, Ward.

    I appreciate you sharing photos. They are interesting glimpses into the past and I love seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What I want to know is, where did all of these gorgeous vintage ladies get their perfectly reddish-brownish lipstick?! Seriously! And do they still sell it anywhere? Maybe outside black-and-white photobooths?

    She's beautiful, ward, and the story about her new and improved smile makes her radiance in the second pic even more inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beauty,
    I'm sorry to hear about your loss, but thanks for sharing a glimpse at the life of your amazing Oma. I love learning about the lives of my grandparents as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you had time to know her, Ward.

    ReplyDelete