1.12.2006

The Healing Powers of TV

Oh boy. It's been a wild week here at the Jenkins household, to say the least. As you may have read at the tail end of my last post, I suddenly succumbed to the horrible sickness that hit my family this past weekend. After a restless night Sunday night, I found myself hitting the porcelin at 5 in the morning. Don't worry, I'll spare you the details. I just don't feel like reliving it all, and I'm pretty sure no one wants to hear about it. As you can see, things have slowed down here at The Ward-O-Matic, as well as at hula seventy. Andrea is still feeling icky, and hates that she hasn't had the drive to write anything new.

Things are looking up, though. Ava's back in school and I'm back at work. Although Wednesday was a pretty hectic day for me. Since I missed a day on Monday, the past two days were all a whirlwind because of a penciltest that we had to get posted for the clients yesterday. It was maddening! But we got it out and I have to say I was happy with it. I'm working on a spot for a major cereal brand, so that's guaranteed national exposure. It's been a great job so far, and I've been having so much fun with it. I cannot wait to be able talk about it here soon, but I'm not allowed to until the spot officially airs. Rules are rules!

---------------------

Anyway, with all the sickies going on around here, Andrea and I were so looking forward to a great night of TV last night. Yes, people, we've fallen into the LOST trap and there's no way out for us. We're hooked, and we normally don't get into shows like this, to be honest with you. The LOST phenomenon has finally caught up with us and I have to say that I'm not all that ashamed about it. It is a really well written show with some great characters and excellent acting. The premise is a killer, and there just seems to be new, original layers to the story to be uncovered with each new episode. The show's writers have been able to stretch the premise throughout two seasons without the show feeling hackneyed or thin. That's quite an accomplishment, in my book.

So with a much-needed clip show at 8pm and a brand spankin' new LOST at 9pm, we were happy little post-sick people.

BUT WAIT -- the night wasn't over just yet! To top the night off, our other favorite show was having a new episode air immediately afterwards at 10pm: Project Runway! Now, THIS show, Andrea and I have been so into it from the beginning. It has been such a fascinating show for us to watch mainly because of the creative aspect of it all. To see how the creative process is dealt with and to see all the hipster and not-so hipster designers duke it out with each other from week to week has been an exhilarating experience. I'm completely enthralled by the show; I can't get enough of it.

LOST and Project Runway: hands down the two best shows out there currently. And that's my humble opinion, of course.

You know, if you really want to get more out of each of these shows, they both offer podcasts. I subscribe to just a few, but I highly recommend the podcasts to both LOST and Project Runway because they both offer something new to each show as well as enhance the overall experience for the viewer and/or fan. It's nice to find out little tidbits of info that give you more insight to the shows, and when you're working on dull jobs, like inbetweening, you couldn't ask for more. I especially love Project Runway's podcast, with the affable Tim Gunn flying solo for each 10 to 15 minute-long show. He pulls no punches with his critiques and uncovers podcast gold when he tells us things like Santino's blow-up at the judges when he was defending his lingerie collection from two episodes ago lasted 90 MINUTES! Unbelievable, Santino. (To get the podcast for Project Runway, go to the "Tim's Take" section on the show's site.)

Since the show has aired, I have a new-found appreciation for the design and fashion industry. Little did I know how important draping was, among many other things. But there is one caveat to digging this show: hearing Andrea spout 24/7 in mock-Heidi Klum mode, "Eezzah yoo een oh yoo OWTTT!"

By 11pm, Andrea and I were very satisfied with a great big helping of TV goodness. Who says the boob tube can't serve some sort of purpose in this crazy mixed-up world?

(Andrea made me write that last sentence. She's back, baby! She's back!)

12 comments:

  1. Yooz guys are hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far I've dotched the sickies, glad it's over for you guys. Funny I made fun of my friend for being into reality tv, and Lost. Honestly, I thought Lost was just another survivor series. She finally talked me into watching it, now I'm hooked too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. uh ...
    I understand the thing with LOST. I watched last night. I see what others see in it, but I'm not pulled in. I was at first, but not any longer. I watched the first 6 or 7 episodes ... then I've watched sparingly since then ...
    It's like a cold that you think is gone, but it rears its ugly head again ... then it's gone, then it's back ... much like some STD's (so I'm told).
    But the project runway?
    Ward.
    You are going to have to find another gender, because I'm revoking your "dude" license.
    Geez lou-freakin-weeeeeeze!
    Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm literally the only person I know of in this studio who isn't hooked on "Lost"...I haven't seen a single episode(do I win anything?-booby prize, perhaps?). I keep thinking I'm going to have to give in and check out the 1st season, because you know what they say--50 million animators can't be wrong. ; )
    We barely watch series TV, haven't for years--but I was totally hooked recently on "Rome"(HBO--still recommend--it'll come out on DVD soon I should think); I love love love Hugh Laurie on "House"(always pulls it out of the hat just when I think I've seen enough--great writing and brilliant acting from HL), and I'm on-again off-again about "Medium", which seemed as though it would be the dumbest show ever, but which(again suprisingly)shocked me with some genuine scares, good mysteries and best of all, great acting(!!)from Patricia Arquette(I never could stand her before)and the guy who playes her husband. Believe it or don't, the show actually presents a believable family amidst all the drama. Anyway--those are my picks! Glad to hear you are feeling better...I too had knee-buckling illness last week and this..UGH.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm totally with you on the Lost front. I don't have a TV at college, so any I watch is downloaded from the internet. This means that while the rest of the UK has just seen the series one finale, I'm up to speed with the US broadcasts. I chuckled as I read a newspaper article the other day, listing all the mysteries the author hoped would be explained in the last couple of episodes. She must have been mightily disappointed.

    It's such a quality show, but I am a little concerned they may be about to lose their way. I mean, what's up with the random swirly black cloud? I'm not sure they'll ever be able to explain that to my satisfaction. (Not that they seem very keen on the whole 'explaining' thing anyway...)

    Oh, and jenny? I agree. Hugh Laurie is AWESOME, and House MD rocks, possibly even more so than Lost.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't Lost the best!? Jeremy and I love watching it. To me there's little better than a good TV drama that makes you think ... it's exciting and relaxing at the same time. I LOVED project runway last season, but I missed the beginning of this one, and I think I'm too far behind to start now. Will probably just get it on DVD.

    We also love Rome (well, until the last few episodes) and I admit that I love Medium, too, although I don't purposely look for it. I've got the hugest girl-crush on Patricia Arquette!

    I can't help it, I also love My Name Is Earl. I need some stupid-humor comedy once in a while. Jason Lee is so funny, the set design is fantastic. It's only a half hour, but has the production values of an hour show.

    Ever since we've gotten TiVo, I watch less TV than I ever have in my entire life. But what I watch is good, so it's worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have to understand with the Project Runway thing, Slim, is that it's about creative people creating things, and that's the draw for Andrea and I. Plus, with the characters featured from the two seasons so far have been FAR more interesting than any of the characters from all the Big Brother and Survivor seasons combined. And that's no lie! Try to find anyone as infuriating and intriguing as Santino -- it'll be hard.

    LOST is one of those shows where you have to start from the very beginning. My sister lent us her Season One DVD set during the holidays and Andrea and I got so into it. We then were able to catch up with this season with all the episodes being available on iTunes. To watch it all together like that really helps you get into the mystique of the show and keep a cohesive account of all the characters.

    Anyway, Jenny, I do wish that you try and borrow the first season from someone and relish in the glory that is LOST. Be one of us... one of us... one of us....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Julia, I'm sure that Bravo will do a Project Runway marathon some time soon. They always do, especially when it gets to the end of the season. Once I see that they'll air a marathon, I'll be sure to let you know. It's great to be able to watch all the episodes all together like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOST is an awesome show. And I just started watching Project Runway this season and it's by far the most interesting and dramatic reality show on TV...screw you guys who are too insecure to watch people cut up fabric!

    (We also walk around our apartment saying, "You are EEN!" all the time.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. first off, let me say that I was reluctant to get in on 'lost'. it's just not my type of show. I'm a seinfeld/arrested development/sex and the city/project runway kind of girl. the only one hour drama I ever would really fight tooth and nail for is 'my so-called life'. but my curiosity got the best of me, I could take it no longer! and now, I'm so hooked on 'lost' I don't know what to with myself. it's crazy! although, if I had to choose between lost and project runway... I'm afraid project runway would win.

    (see, project runway would be EEN. lost would be OWWT. ward, I can't help myself)

    ReplyDelete
  11. down here in australia- we have "LOST" - i have never seen an episode and i don't think i will.

    we don't have "project runway" - but i reckon i would like that...

    pretty much the only three american shows i watch on tv is: Trump's The Apprentice. The Biggest Loser. The Simpsons.
    and that is too much for my liking!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ok, this is probably a belated comment by now but OMIGAWD "My so called life!" I felt like such an idiot watching that at errrm uhm my age, but it was great! Now I just have to hope you weren't being sarcastic... *shudders and hides*

    :P

    ReplyDelete