12.02.2004

Ward 2.0

After about 6 years I finally got new glasses. It was a monumental event for me as I was itching for a new look for... well, 6 years. At the time I got the new glasses, my hair was getting retched. Since I keep my hair relatively short, it starts to look iffy in just over a month. And since I use some sort of sticky hair wax stick to make my hair have that mussed-up-just-got-out-of-bed-but-still-look-cool look, it starts to have an adverse effect on my hair when it gets longer. The longer my hair gets, the more wax I need to put in it. Add the fact that I hate to shave and it'll be about a week before I do get around to doing it, I began to look like a street urchin, on the verge of asking somebody for some change.


So, yes, new glasses. I got a pair of those narrow retro-ish, yet contemporary frames that make me look like I'm ready to give a dissertation on the indie film I saw at Sundance last night. I like them. After getting my frames, a new haircut and finally getting around to shave - boy, did I feel like a new man! I felt like Ward 2.0. Ready for my new project! Bring it on!


But alas, it couldn't last. It never does, when you have your hair done up by a stylist, right? I couldn't get that look right, no matter how long I stood there in front of my mirror. And you'd think that it's easier with short hair? Not so. So now, after about 2 weeks, I was back to where I started. Only now, I look like a down-and-out filmmaker.

8 comments:

  1. I desperately need to get some new glasses myself. Mandy has been after me for years to do that... She has great taste in eyewear. I have a cool pair of frames that used to belong to my dad during the 70's! The sad thing is that I can't get anyone to put lenses in them! Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, Ward, I'm kind of hoping for a return to "giant" glasses; the kind that sort of overwhelm your head and inevitably sink forward past the bridge of your nose, ala Charles Nelson Reilly (sp?)
    All it'll take is Ashton Kutcher in a big pair of Foster Grants and we'll have a trend! If young people will wear those stupid looking trucker caps (to say nothing about tennis visors backwards AND upside-down...don't get me started), they'll bring back ANYTHING!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did have some of large thick-rimmed glasses back in 1993, but quickly moved on. And as for trends, I do recall back in the late 90's-early 00's where that 70's glam/charlie's angels feathered hair look was making some half-hearted attempt of a comeback and the large circular sunglasses were popping up here and there. Charles Nelson Reilly - what a trend-setter! What is that guy up to nowadays?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe CNR is still alive and kicking, but his last prominent movie role was gasp-Cannonball Run 2! How the mighty have fallen...

    ReplyDelete
  5. so good! love it! tiegs

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really got me to visualize the whole degraded look. The illustrations helped, I guess. Anyway, this is a great post. It made me smile.

    And hate to shave? Grow a beard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd love to grow and keep a beard, but there's been some hang-ups about it. I've tried to grow a full-fledged beard twice in my lifetime. The first time was several years ago and I ended up shaving it immediately upon hearing the first comment from a family member that I looked like Kenny Loggins. Not what I was shootin' for. The second time was about 2 months ago. It was alright, but it itched like the dickens and plus, it had an adverse affect on my skin as I broke out like a teenager in heat. It was very strange. Plus, it affected my kids' skin too, as they got these blotchy reddish marks on their faces when I tried to snuggle and kiss 'em. Darn that beard. Oh well!

    And yes, I'm always an advocate for forgotten euphemisms, and "egads" has always been one of my favorites. Some other faves: "Great googlely-moogley!" and "Zounds!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. In my house, 'Great Googly-Moogly' isn't an out-of-date euphemism considering my mother uses it to this day...alongside the following choice phrases: 'When heck was a pup', 'Well, Johnny Ace wants ice water' and 'I'm trying to skin this cat, you just sit there and hold the tail!"

    ReplyDelete