12.10.2004

In the meantime

Sorry for the delay in concluding my review/commentary of THE POLAR EXPRESS, but I've been out of town and finding time to write has become a bit of a challenge. I've got some good stuff to say in the next installment, and I don't want to post just anything, so just wanted to let you all know that I haven't forgotten ya.

In the meantime, here are some links that I frequent from time to time.

Loobylu is a great artist blog that pretty much got me started in all this. It's Claire Robertson's blog and she's a great illustrator from Australia and you can check out her work HERE.

I like is a pretty cool blog with loads of links to things that are very interesting. I like.

Tirade is Ronnie Del Carmen's blog on art, interests, etc. Ronnie works as a story artist at world-famous Pixar Studios, and I've been a big fan of his work for about a year and a half now, even buying two issues of his comic, Paper Biscuit. You can check his work out HERE.

Michel Gagné is a fantastic animator who worked on THE IRON GIANT and made the incredible short, PRELUDE TO EDEN. Amazing special effects animator along with possessing an eye for the fantastical with his bizarre Insanely Twisted Rabbits book. He's working with a Flash animator and have come up with The Insanely Twisted Puppet Show which promises to be one of the most intriging offerings for the next year. Let's hope he gets the show greenlit.

Some other artists I'm digging:
Adrian Johnson: cool designer/illustrator from the UK.
Tim Biskup: great illustrator who was a former animator/background painter and now is part of that underground, "low-brow" art movement.
Arthur DePins: French illustrator/animator who's made some of the best Flash animation I've ever seen. Be sure to check out his amazing shorts L'Eau de Rose and La Révolution des Crabes.
art smear is a blog started up by artist James Palmer, a fellow Atlanta artist who has mastered Painter. His work evokes an oil painterly look, but is entirely digital. You would never know it was done in the computer. Take a lookie-see.

In the following weeks I plan on having a post of my influences, chock-full of links. I'd like to see what you, my readers, are influenced by too, so shoot me an email and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks for being patient.

4 comments:

  1. I LOOOOOOOOVE Michael Gagne! I found a copy of INSANELY TWISTED RABBITS at Criminal Records a couple of years ago. I quickly found his site and emailed him--which I do now and again, not really expecting a response. He was very kind in emailing me back.

    Oh, and thanks for the plug man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, did you find I Like on your own?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I found I Like via another site that the webmaster has, a site devoted to M. Sasek. I was doing a search one day for that artist and found that site, which had a link to I Like on it. I'm planning on linking that artist's site for my influences post coming up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the plug Ward -- ;)
    M. Sasek! I went to San Francisco having been brought up on his San Francisco book and I was so pleased to see that it is pretty much exactly what I was lead to expect.
    xx
    claire

    ReplyDelete