12.26.2004

Some Thanks, Merry Christmas and a Happy 2005


I've recieved such an overwhelming response to my commentary and analysis of THE POLAR EXPRESS, that I find it hard not to say THANKS! Thank you all for the responses and to the thoughtful dialogue that should exist between artists and audiences. I do feel that I should give props to Ethan at Persistence of Vision, to James at Seward Street, to Jared at his Little Crockpot of News and Thoughts blog, to Lili and Eddie at fwak! Blog, and especially to Amid at Cartoon Brew, for the exposure. My blog traffic went through the roof this past week, and now I feel so exposed, so naked. But hey! That's a good thing, I guess. We are all entitled to some "naked time," every once in a while.

I liked what James mentioned in his blog about us artists and animators being open to constructive criticism, as it should be about wanting to make things better. That's the whole point of my POLAR EXPRESS essays: to see what could've been done to make the movie more enjoyable and a little less irritable and unsettling.

I love the Holidays. Spending time with the family is so special to me and I wish the best to my readers for the coming year. Thanks for making these last two months of 2004 a great experience for me. I only hope that you guys have had just as must fun reading my ramblings as I have had rambling.

And now, I wish you all a very Merry Christmas, and a truly great New Year for 2005.

6 comments:

  1. No problem Ward.
    Your blog is a wonderful read and a great resource. I've really enjoyed it and anxiously await the nuggets of joy that you post in the future. Hope you had a great Christmas and have a wonderful New Year!

    Jared

    ReplyDelete
  2. It takes a villiage man... I know it's sort of a cliche but it really is true. This has grown into a vibrant little community since you've started and I hope that it will continue to grow. Keep it going bruthah!

    I just recieved the IRON GIANT for xmas! Waiting on your commentary on that!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Happy New Year Ward. Liked your sketch a lot; just one question: How can you see to animate? You forgot to add the eyeballs!
    Seriously, though, I can't wait to see how you re-touch "Revenge of the Jedi" this summer to make it watchable. I double-dare ya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't say enough about your Polar Express article. Friends of mine in the game development concentration have been debating why the graphics and animation in role playing computer games is still not considered an art on their blogs. I posted a reference to your article and I think they get it now. Coursework in colleges these days are missing a fine line between art and technology I believe. If we could find a way to get programmers interested in some basic animation principles, and ease artists into learning some basic programming principles we could see some real advances.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting my article/essay/rant up with your collegues, Cher. That's what I want: the continuation of dialog between artists and animators. Even between animators and programmers. Artists and designers. It should be an open forum, and never be separated into completely different camps. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute more to this sort of thing for this new year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I have to agree with most of whats been said. I think the main thing is it's an easy read. Flows well.

    My blogs at structuredlook/blogspot.com (its kinda in the birth stages)

    ReplyDelete