5.13.2008

The passing


Photo: Tony Cenicola/The New York Times

I'm sad to say that perhaps the biggest influence in my life as an artist has passed away. Robert Rauschenberg died yesterday at his home in Captiva Island, Florida. He was 82.

I will write more when I have the time. In the meantime, you can read more about the man and the artist here:

New York Times Obit

Robert Rauschenberg on Wikipedia


From "An Interview with Robert Rauschenberg by Barbara Rose":

BR: It's interesting that in all your years of producing new directions in your art, you have never gotten into death imagery. A great deal of risk but not death. Is that something that you ever think about?

RR: Not often. I have always said that life has nothing to do with death. They're two separate things, and that's the way it ought to be. If that's innocent, so be it. Innocence is not like virginity. Virginity you can have only once. Innocence you have to nourish every day.


5 comments:

  1. Man, I cant believe that... my wife is going to be heartbroken. He really was an amazing figure. Referenced him quite a bit in art school myself.

    Great quote, by the way, especially in this age; an increasing loss of naivety in younger and younger years... sad, really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, my heart sunk as i heard the announcement on npr. he's a super influence on me too.
    katie knutson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a brilliant artist. I just watched a documentary about him on Ovation TV a month ago. I noticed that they are now running it again, since the announcement of his death.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very sad,
    still what a life.

    guess he never listened to Johnny Cash tho:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the post on Saul Bass. Funny how I marked that time in my life by remembering his titles to movies like, "mad,mad,mad,ma world".
    I do think that it's difficult to create without any feedback whatsoever - so get that! :)

    ReplyDelete