5.02.2008

Nothing like Nonbreakable Vinyl

Finally got around to scanning some fun vintage children's records. I have to laugh every time I read on the cover that these records are "nonbreakable" or "unbreakable." Never underestimate the power of a 2 year-old, people. Seriously? Kids that age are tough. If something doesn't break right away, they'll find a way. Believe me. Anyway, some of these 45's came my way via the wifey. She'd buy one here and there and then suddenly, I'd have a nice little collection of cool old records. A few shown below were actually in her booth when she sold vintage items for a short while. Don't tell her, but I would secretly "re-own" them by stashing them under my shirt and put them safely away. Couldn't stand to see them leave my clutches. Does that make me a bad husband? Don't answer that.

Onto the "nonbreakable" records:

Tom Corbett: Space Cadet Song 45
Tom Corbett: Space Cadet Song and March, A Golden Record. 1951. No mention of illustrator. Gotta love sci-fi of the 50's.

Space Cadet 45 back
Michael Pinto of Fanboy.com posted about this record recently, sharing a little bit of insight about Tom Corbett: Space Cadet, which was a TV show that aired from 1950 to '55. Thanks for the mention, Michael!


Brave Cowboy Bill 45
Brave Cowboy Bill, A Golden Record. 1950. No mention of illustrator, but looks like JP Miller. Any suggestions? Aurelius Battaglia, perhaps?


The following two are from Columbia Records, where Alex Steinweiss created the concept of the album cover. These two have some sort of Steinweissian style to it, but there's no telling, since no illustrator credit is given. Good grief, Mr. Steinweiss is still alive! Give 'em a pound.

The Bear Went Over the Mountain 45
The Bear Went Over the Mountain b/w "A-Hunting We Will Go" and "Today is Monday (Soup Song)." Playtime Records. No mention of illustrator nor copyright date.

The center labels on these two 45's sport some nice illustrations. I'll have to scan them in some time.

Home On The Range 45
Home On The Range b/w "Doney Gal." Playtime Records. No mention of illustrator nor copyright date.


Donald's Singing Lesson 45
Donald's Singing Lesson b/w "Pluto the Pup." A Little Golden Record. 1949. Illustrations credited 1948, '49 to Walt Disney Productions.


The Saggy Baggy Elephant 45
The Saggy Baggy Elephant b/w "Elephant's Walk." Little Golden Records. 1950. No mention of illustrator, but we know that this is based off the book by Gustaff Tenggrenn. Classic Little Golden Book. We had this book when I was a kid. One of my earliest memories involves The Saggy Baggy Elephant, wherein Mom would record herself reading the book for my sister and I. We then could take the tape and read along while she did housework or whatever. She did this with several of our favorite books -- oh, how I wished we still had those tapes. Mom, any idea where they could be?

5 comments:

  1. ha!
    I listen to Old Time Radio from the 50s from time to time while I'm working. Tom Corbett is a trip! The announcer dude cracks me up. TOMMMMM CORBETTTTTTT SPAAAAAAAACE PATROLLLL!!!!!
    anyway. nice little collection there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, my wife hates it if I call her "the wifey". Knowing that, my dad continues to refer to her as that just to rib her - which makes here despise it even more.

    Another interesting post - good to have the ol' Ward-O-Matic back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ward,

    This is a trip down Nostalgia Lane! I remember those old Disney 45's when I was a kid- had a whole stack of them. It was fun to listen to a record at the slower setting, kind of added a a new dimension to the subject matter. Slowed down, any one of those would have been right at home on the soundtrack of IT or Poltergeist.

    Oh yeah, I hope I didn't offend you with the comment about proofreading. I belong to a comedy messageboard and we bag on eachother there nonstop. If anyone should be proofreading their emails it's me- to make sure I don't write something offensive!!

    Happy Saturday, man.

    Don C.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great stuff Ward! I LOVE stuff like this. Check out my blog and you'll see your post inspired me to scan one of my rare records too, along with some Disney books I found today.
    http://scuzzbopper.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This reminds me of the records my brothers and I destroyed when we were kids. We had a bunch of old 78's, that we played on a behemoth Magnavox console. I can attest to the durability of "unbreakable vinyl", we shot those records up with air rifles because they wouldn't shatter. The BB's punched little holes through the discs like swiss cheese. I'll probably catch some grief for preventing these specimens from reaching collectors' hands, but it was cool at the time, way more gratifying than listening to "Peter, Peter, It's Paancaaaakes!" for the hundredth time.

    ReplyDelete