1.31.2008

Ava Thursday: Self Portrait

Ava Thursday: Self Portrait

"Daddy did I do good?"

That sweet, delicate handwriting in the upper right-hand corner speaks volumes to me. While waiting in the car, I handed Ava my sketchbook and a pen for her to draw whatever she wanted. This is what she drew. A wonderful self portrait of a 7 year-old girl, growing up and being fully aware of the details around her. The question in the corner is a loaded one. Upon reading it, I immediately gave her a smile and said, "Oh, yes, sweetie -- you did an amazing job!" But I couldn't help but think about how much that question means to Ava. Obviously, it means that she's trying her best here. And she definitely wants to appease me, since she sees me draw all the time. But I never want her to gauge how well she's doing based off others' comments and opinions -- I want her to judge her own work for herself. But that's a lofty concept for a 7 year-old. At this stage in her development, she wants encouragement from her family. And that's what we try to give her, as much as we possibly can.

Ava Thursday: My Hand

After Ava's self portrait, you turn the page and you come upon this. More self portraits. Of a little girl's hands. A sweet, delicate little artist's hands.

8 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post to bring Ava Thursdays into the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. loverly job sister ava:) do you have a webkinz? jaylie does. have your mommy write me, and I'll give you her webkinz name! Hopefully we'll see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. gemini -- yes, I've been dying to get this up for you all. Ava's very proud of it.

    Joy -- i'm not sure if Ava has webkinz, yet, but I know she's very very aware of it. Once she gets hers, we'll contact you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. very sweet. 7 years old and going great...sure the future looks bright. It would appear you are a lucky fellow

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazingly talented little girl. How lucky she is to have such encouragement from her parents. Sadly, a lot parents discourage such creativity.

    I love Ava Thursday!!! Her work inspires me. And I'm a lot older than 7! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. 100% sweet. That must be fun to encourage a possible budding artist...or even if she doesn't end up an artist, she'll still have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. a charming drawing. the 6 fingers on the one hand made me smile.
    children's drawings are always fascinating, like looking at the world through a child's eyes again, like the way the blue sky and green grass will have space between them (because we know grass doesn't touch the sky!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Imagine the drawings she'll do when she grows up, 6 fingers and all.

    janey
    http://janeysjourney.com

    ReplyDelete