6.11.2005

Illustration Friday: Summer

Summer is the theme for this week at Illustration Friday and I first thought, "Gee, that's so...broad." I mean, c'mon! Let's come up with something a little more intriguing!

But then I thought, hey -- my little boy, Ezra is turning ONE today, and that's sorta in the summer, right? A birthday under the sun -- how appropriate. In fact, whenever I think of summer, I will always think of birthdays as Ava's birthday is also during this season.

Yes, Ezra is one year old. I cannot believe how fast this one is growing. Time is passing by me so quickly, I'm afraid I'm missing all the details. I can stop and notice the most minute of details on a series of drawings, or on a commerical being made, but can I do the same for my kids as they are growing up on a daily basis? Am I missing out? I do not want to miss anything. But it's so hard for me not to think this when I'm gone half the day at work. Oh sure, this sort of thing is nothing new. Old hat. Generation upon generation of fathers have gone through this. But this is me and I want to think that I'm different. So all I can do is just get the most out of my lunches with my family and then when I'm home after work. I try my best to go full-tilt with Ava and Ezra every single possible minute.

And thus, I want to get as much as I possibly can out of Ezra's first birthday today. Take it all in. Enjoy the moment.

Happy birthday, little buddy.

Click on image for a closer look.

19 comments:

  1. Man, Ward. That's really, really nice. Really captures a moment. Amanda and I really enjoyed what you wrote. Hope Ezra has a great first birthday and the whole family parties hard.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a loving sun looking down on a delighted boy. You've captured it well and enjoy celebrating his birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it brings me back to many memories together with my nieces and nephews when they had their first birthday parties....great illo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice take on the topic... happy birthday to Ezra.

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful ! agree, the most wonderful sun looking down on Ezra, you can so feel it's warmth and love ! just awesome how beautifully you've conveyed your feelings for him here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awh, this is so sweet, sunshiny and happy! And very lovely in every way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. p.s. Happy Birthday, Ezra
    p.s.s. Great names you give your children!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun and happy illustration. I like it.

    wynlen
    wynleDesign

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel the same about trying to savor every moment. I also have an ezra and him and his twin brother turn 6 months soon. I struggle with loving what I do and spending time with my family and loving them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this illustration for so many reasons... it fills me with joy each time I see it. thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. it's amazing what power a child has on one's outlook on life and you've demonstrated that well through this illustration. great post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dude.
    Happy birthday, Ezra. You are blessed to have a daddy like Ward and a mommy like Andrea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy 1st Birthday Ezra! (What an awesome name!!!) How wonderful that he has such a loving father!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you, all for your very nice comments. I'm sure Ezra would love all the attention, if he only understood it.

    The birthday went as planned: a big hoo-wah. Pics soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great illustration. Jeff shares the same feelings you too. These little ones are so blessed to have fathers that desire their time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow!

    Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside--especially now that I see what wonderful joys I have to look forward to! Good onya Ezra!

    ReplyDelete
  17. lovely illo !
    full of joy but you did have a great inspiration ! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so cute! It makes me all happy inside. Happy birthday, Ezra!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just lovely! Fun and sweet.

    ReplyDelete