5.18.2005

A few things

When I started this blog, I wanted to lay down a couple of ground rules so that I may always give the reader the best possible online experience. I never really expected this thing to take off like it has, and now I find myself trying to play catch-up.

1. I wanted to post regularly so people would know that I care about this thing. Not too much, as I didn't want to bombard my readers with too much information, but not too sparse, where people would stop visiting. I've been trying to do a daily post, but with my work schedule and my home schedule, it's becoming more and more difficult to do so.

And this bothers me. It seems silly, doesn't it? As I know that there are plenty of blogs out there where the writers post maybe once a week, but they seem to keep up a pretty decent following. I don't know why I feel this way. I guess it's a personality trait in me to want to please everybody. And I have to accept the fact that I cannot do that. But at least I can try.

2. I wanted to be honest in my writing, but not too personal. My family is my life and my true inspiration. Ava Thursdays are a great indication of that. But I don't want to get too personal to where I might lose my audience. I have a broad audience, and I am so thankful for that. But again -- it's hard to please everybody. I'm trying to find the happy medium to where everybody can find a comfortable spot within the confines of The Ward-O-Matic and want to stay there.

3. Animation is in my blood, but it's not all of who I am. As you can see, I find inspiration from EVERYWHERE, and being an animator doesn't mean that I have to look at ONLY animation 24-7. I'm listed on many blogrolls out there as an "animation blog," and I respect that. But I realize that I have not discussed animation ad nauseum as I thought I would, and that's okay. There are plenty of opportunities soon where I will, believe me, but I just want some of you people out there who were expecting tons of animation-related posts to bear with me.

I guess by the end of the day, I tend to suffer from animation-overload. Consumed by it all day tends to do that to a man.

Oh well, I don't know where I was going with this post, I guess I just wanted to get some things off my chest. I love having this forum to be able to talk about things I like and discuss and debate about things I don't like. It's a great way for me to understand what others feel about certain subjects and to figure out why things might or might not work.

Be that as it may, I constantly enjoy the interaction of others I receive on The Ward-O-Matic, and I am deeply honored in having the wonderful opportunity to be a part of your lives.

10 comments:

  1. I enjoy reading your site. I think that I originally found you because of the POLAR EXPRESS pieces you wrote, and I stuck around because those were so damned interesting/insightful/kickass. And this has fast become one of my favorite blogs, mostly because you touch on something that I wanted to do as a kid (animate/illustrate) but never followed through, but mostly because of this one simple fact: someone out there thinks that THE IRON GIANT is as absolutely top-notch and drop-dead amazing and all-time-great-worthy as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you just keep doing what you're doing. it's been the best thing for you (just the creative push you needed) and you know I just love to tease you about your hardcore blogging habit just because. because I can. and now, I have no room to speak. I truly enjoy reading what you put out there, love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think andrea is right - just keep doing what you're doing! i think it has just the right amount of ingredients; illustration; a bit of family; a bit of pop culture sprinkled with some graffiti here and there - that makes a pretty well rounded blog for the varied reader. every couple of days is a good dose from this point of view - it's a great blog! ( i especially enjoy those retro maps and cookbooks and your dissecting of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the balance you strike on content is great. And as for posting infrequently, I only stop checking blogs that I don't enjoy anymore, not ones that post infrequently. To be honest, my favourites folder is bursting at the seams, and quality over quantity is hugely preferable! I spend way too much time reading blogs as it is...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fyse -- you have a point there. I would rather have something worth reading than just anything at all. And thank you all for your comments. Very encouraging. Mom -- I appreciate that you check up on me through my blog. Not sure if there's some underlying purpose there, but still. To Andrea, I have one thing to say: "Told you so!" You are so deep in it, my love, and I am so glad you are. Your writing is perfect. Jg -- thanks for thinking that I'm interesting. I wasn't sure if I was, but it's nice to know that one person thinks so. As for IG: Best Movie Ever. I was the biggest cheerleader for that film when it was released in the theatres back in '99. I still love it so. Jan -- thanks for the kudos. I really appreciate it coming from you. And I'm sorry for not checking up on your blog lately. Me been busy. Me bad.

    Thanks, guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you're doing fine. I like the variety in your posts. I find your artisic eye applied to your world to be quite interesting and inspiring. Plus, when you reccommend checking out another blog I'm always glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ward, I really enjoy your posts, a bunch of them are saved in my NewsBin so that I can reread over them when I have a chance (those with all the pretty pictures attached!) I can relate to feeling forced to post, but you should just post when you feel like it, when you get inspired, those seem to be the most interesting to me. Anyway, just my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Jim. And I really value your opinion, as I'm a big fan of your blog. You've got some great stuff going on over there. Keep it up!

    Thanks again, guys, for your words. I needed to hear that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Take your time. I wouldn't worry about the frequency of the posts, I think anyone who blogs appreciates the time and work it takes to post entries as thoughtful, fun and beautifully written as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hear that, yo. I hardly even have time to post at all anymore and I think if I could just buy time like I buy the minutes for my cell phone, there probably still wouldn't be enough time in the day.
    Yargh!

    ReplyDelete