5.20.2005

Ava Thursday: Playground


Well, here we are with another installment of Ava Thursday -- even though this one is a day late. Very sorry about that. I wanted to post something STAR WARS related on the day that Episode 3 was released, and that unfortunately pushed my dear daughter's weekly art forum back a bit.

But not to worry, as we have a wonderful piece of work here, as Ava has depicted a fabulous playground scene, drawn sometime last week. That's her over on the left, hanging out on the monkey bars. In the lower left-hand corner, that's Ezra (or "Buddy," as Ava likes to call him) bouncing on a kangaroo -- one of those things where there's a big spring on the bottom, and you can ride and bounce on it like a horse. I've never seen a kangaroo one in any of the parks that we frequent, but hey, if she wants it to be a kangaroo, I'm not going to argue. That's Mommy in the lower right-hand corner, with an orange in her hand (she's picked it from the big orange tree in the middle of the scene) and that's me right above Mommy with a banana in my hand.

I love the way she's drawn the playground artifacts: the monkey bars, the swingset, the slide. Very fun and very active. Since she drew it very lightly with colored pencils, I had to darken the levels a bit, but the colors look pretty good overall. And of course, we have our wonderful sun shining down on us, on this beautiful day.

A side note: we are going out of town for a well-deserved week-long vacation all next week. We are bringing the laptop, but I'm not sure about how much time I'll be able to devote to the blog. Who knows, I may post a long rant on the aspects of beach culture, or how much the pirate aesthetic is missing in today's society, but don't hold me to that. Be that as it may, I'm not really sure what to expect for next week, so, just letting you all know beforehand.

Oh well! Have a great weekend, guys!

3 comments:

  1. THE ARTIST SPEAKS! I am sitting here with ava and she says she has something to say about this picture:

    "once upon a time there was a girl who wanted to go to the new park. and she wanted to have a banana and an orange for a snack, so she did. then they went home to have cake for their lunch and they played and played and played and they were done. that's it!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. she looks so happy on the monkey bars, I love that aspect and also the very long arms ! Wonderful Ava !

    ReplyDelete