2.23.2010

My Favorite Quotes

Thought I'd share with you some of my favorite quotes that speak to me on so many levels. I notice a theme here. See if you can pick up on it:

"I have forced myself to contradict myself in order to avoid conforming to my own taste." - Marcel Duchamp

"Rules are what the artist breaks; the memorable never emerged from a formula." - William Bernbach, co-founder of legendary DDB ad agency.

"I never had to compromise myself. It was always me, doing what was comfortable, and relaying the message that I didn't have to be taught to be creative and do good things. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm here and I want to be heard. I come from the streets, I painted on subways, and I feel my work is important. I want people to see it —I want to influence others." -Dondi White (aka DONDI - RIP)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I like William Bernbach's quote the most. His other quotes on Wikipedia are great as well. Especially "Let us prove to the world that good taste, good art, and good writing can be good selling."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember studying Duchamp in
    Art History. My teacher loved his ideas about art and how original or interesting they were. Very fun to think about.

    ReplyDelete