12.06.2008

Culture Jellying

Joel Trussell's Culture Jelly Show

It's not often when I get out (freelance turns you into a shut-in, I'm afraid), so it was nice to get out and enjoy some art this past Thursday. In fact, it was extra nice, since it was fellow animation-pal Joel Trussell and his Culture Jam Jelly show at the Grassy Knoll Gallery (same place where I had my b-boy show) here in Portland. The show is a stunner, with plenty of colorful bearded characters. Joel promised beforehand that not all of the show would consist of vikings, but honestly? I wouldn't mind. As long as they had that unmistakable JT touch, I'm there. Oh, and just so you know, there are girls in the mix, too. Sans beards. One interesting feature of the show that can't be missed: a wall covered with faux fur.

Joel Trussell's Culture Jelly Show

Joel Trussell's Culture Jelly Show

Joel Trussell's Culture Jelly Show

Joel Trussell's Culture Jelly Show

Joel Trussell's Culture Jelly Show

Joel Trussell's Culture Jelly Show

Joel Trussell's Culture Jelly Show

To view the show online, as well as to purchase the artwork, click here.

To view the show in person, be sure to contact the gallery by going to Grassy Knoll's site.

I took some shots of the show opening, including the wall of fur: Joel Trussell's Culture Jelly Show Flickr set.

Another thing: you can nab yerself a limited edition show poster signed by Joel himself: Culture Jam Show Poster. Nice 2-color off set printing.

-------------------


The following night I was able to get out (again!), this time with kids in tow to check out the Grass Hut Gang show at the incurably hip Grass Hut, on E. Burnside. The show featured some gloriously creative work by Bwana Spoons, Martin Ontiveros (whom I met), and APAK. The kids loved it, but I found it incredibly hard to keep their mitts off the merchandise. If you have cool robots on view, Ezra will want to take them down and play with them.

At least Ava got to experience the Wonder Wheel! That's a must if you visit the place. (Probably not a good idea if you've been drinking, tho. One girl almost bit the dust while spinning in that thing.)

3 comments:

  1. Great to finally meet you, Ward! Sorry we didn't get to chat more at the Hut. Oh, and I'm afraid the Wonder Wheel is no more. I don't think it was built to last and inevitably, it didn't. The bottom dropped out as a guy was running in it... nobody was injured, except the Grass Hut wall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's terrible! That thing was pretty unstable, though. I was a bit worried when Ava got in that thing, but she was so adamant. I'll have to post video of her in it.

    Yes, it was great to finally meet you, too, Pumml! We'll definitely keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool work in this post. I really dig the maroon trees in that blue woods painting! Great color!

    ReplyDelete