5.03.2007

Ava Thursday: Cross Country

Ava Thursday: Cross Country

It's been a long time coming, but here it is: Ava Thursday! And this is the one that I've been wanting to post ever since we got settled here in Portland. During our trip across the country from Georgia to Oregon, Ava colored in each and every state that we were in on this map, supplied to Ava thanks to her Nani, my mom. She had a lot of fun asking me which state is which and then deciding on her own which color to use. And she was very adamant about not coloring a state until we definitely crossed the state line. "Daddy, are we in Colorado yet?" she would ask, orange Crayola in hand. "No, not yet." I'd look back and find her staring out the window at the vast prairie land, not in the least bit bored. She loved the entire trip.

We went through Idaho, but Ava used a white crayon for that particular state, making it kinda hard to see it in this scan. And the rainbow for Oregon was Ava's idea.

I love that.

great plains by window

10 comments:

  1. I love that! Thanks so much for posting this to Flickr so I could see Ava's map and find your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute. She will probably remember this for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont understand how she can color and drive at the same time???

    shoot me your new e-mail so we can catch-up

    Brad C

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, even the devil himself couldnt' help but find this pretty darned endearing. You lucky fellow you.

    P.S. No, no, I'm NOT the devil. Just his stand-in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I'd hadn't stopped to look at a map and being not totally au fait with American geography, I'd not realised that you really had just gone from one side of the country to the other. I knew you'd travelled a fair distance - but not that distance. Wow again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup, that was just over 3,000 miles, doow! Or, over 4,800 kilometers to you. It was crazy. And fun. All at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely! Will be a treasure for a very long time...

    ReplyDelete
  8. We still use miles over here in the UK, Ward, unlike the rest of Europe. :) I love road trips... never done one with kids though (unless *being* a kid counts!) -- it looks like it was a great journey! The map was a great idea, too, and will make an excellent memento.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for setting me straight, antikewl -- I thought that we Americans were the only ones using miles. You know, we being backwards and all. Learn something every day!

    ReplyDelete